
I told a story about my Nan and a family wedding. Well soon after posting that I was sitting with my Nan laughing over that story as I showed her this site and we talked about the wedding and especially going out to buy her a new outfit. When I thought forward to the wedding one of my happiest thoughts had been that my Nan (aka Rum) would be there to share the day with us as she has been such a part of my life (and Lynne's) for the last ten years. We were always close, but when I returned from New Zealand in 1997, she opened her home to me and became not just my Nan, but also my friend and flatmate. When Lynne came into my life she selflessly helped me to move to Brighton and it is her overwhelming generosity that allowed us to have our own little flat. But we will not go out and buy her an outfit, or make sure we have sweet fizzy wine and a bottle of sherry round the back, as we must celebrate love and companionship without her. She died peacefully in February with those that loved her by her bedside. I would not have wished her a more dignified and beautiful end - I am only sorry I don't get to laugh with her anymore and Lynne and I will miss her greatly. I will continue to talk to her and tell her my hopes and dreams and on our wedding day ask everyone to celebrate our union and her life.
No comments:
Post a Comment